Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sucker



A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that when she was breastfeeding she felt perpetually naked and wet. Substitute “sticky” for “wet” and I agree wholeheartedly.

I fear I am devolving into a “naked person” and have begun to resent having to wear a clothing at all. Not that I enjoy going topless all the time, just that it is so much easier than the alternative. What’s the point of dressing if I’ll just be baring it all again in another twenty minutes? And who decided I have to be fully clothed before going to the mailbox or bringing the dogs inside? I’m kidding, of course. Kind of.

Innumerable girlfriends have asked me in recent weeks if I feel like a dairy cow. I don’t. I feel more like a long-neglected fish tank with heavily plaqued algae and an overzealous Plecostomus attached to my walls. Harper is very good at nursing.

                                                                 Harper is the fish.   

Harper has become my little conditioned Pavlovian. Recently she was watching me as I got dressed and she started to smack her lips when I took off my blouse. 

And she has this new adorable habit of making a growling sound as she lunges towards my chest. Also, she gnaws on my shoulder when I burp her. Brad didn’t believe me until he saw it for himself. We’ve decided that for next Halloween she will be going as a flesh eating monster.

She has clearly got the upper hand on us, though. Once she settles in to nurse she looks up at me with her big blue-grey eyes and just beams, milk leaking all over, and I can’t help but smile back. 


         

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world.. Can't wait to see updates!

    ReplyDelete